Tomaca Radio

Thursday, November 13, 2008

"All the things that we seek to have in ourselves we can find by bringing light to others."

Whenever I see the Salvation Army person out there in the cold ringing that bell, I stop and I shake their hand and say thank you. I try to bring them a cup of hot coffee, tea, or in today's case, a candy bar. I told the woman that it wouldn't keep her warm, but it was something sweet to snack on.

Her face was worn and weathered, as if life aged her far beyond her years. It's the look I've seen many times before. The body of a person who has abused drugs for years and years - thin, frail, drawn skin, no teeth or missing teeth. You neglect your body and everything else for the sake of that drug. People like that, who have turned the corner and are fighting everyday to stay clean, earn my utmost respect. Because I know for a fact that it's not easy. I bow to them, I honor them. They are you, they are me. There is no separating us all from each other.

So in honor and respect of my brothers and sisters who are out there ringing that bell for the Salvation Army, I say thank you, thank you, thank you. They are doing far more for the rest of us than we will ever know.

No comments: